Civil Jurisdiction

Civil Cases

North Salem Court has jurisdiction over actions and proceedings for the recovery of money or property, provided that:

  • The plaintiff lives or works in North Salem, and the defendant lives or works in Westchester County; or
  • The defendant lives or works in North Salem regardless of plaintiff’s residence; and
  • The amount or the value of the personal property sought to be recovered does not exceed $3,000, with the exception of landlord/tenant matters where the monetary jurisdiction is unlimited.

Filing Fees

  • Filing of first paper - $20.00
  • Demand for Jury Trial - $10.00
  • Notice of Appeal - $5.00

Replevin Action

Common law action to recover goods wrongfully taken or withheld.

Small Claims

Small Claims are informal Court proceedings to recover money only for an amount not to exceed $3,000, provided that:

  • The action is filed in the jurisdiction where the defendant lives, works or has a place of business; and
  • The plaintiff is an individual or sole proprietor over the age of 18 years, and not a corporation.

Filing Fees

[Uniform Justice Court Act Sec. 1803(a)]

  • Claims of $1,000 or less - $10.00
  • Claims of more than $1,000 - $15.00

For more detailed information on commencing a Small Claims proceeding, please consult the:

Landlord/Tenant Proceedings

The North Salem Court has jurisdiction over landlord/tenant proceedings for non-payment of rent, evictions, holdover, and to compel repairs. The monetary jurisdiction is unlimited.

Wedding Ceremonies

Town Justices are authorized to officiate at wedding ceremonies throughout New York State. While a standard civil ceremony may be used, the couple may request changes to the ceremony to fit their wishes. If you are interested in having a Town Justice officiate at a wedding, please contact the Justice Court to obtain further information.