The North Salem Court has jurisdiction over vehicle and traffic cases charging the commission of a traffic offense occurring in the Town of North Salem. It is the obligation of the motorist to respond to the ticket. While traffic infractions are not considered criminal matters, a conviction may involve a fine, surcharge, points on your driving record, and loss of driving privileges.
What to do after you are given a ticket on the road by a police officer:
On the left side (middle area) of your ticket is a date. This is not a court date. "Return by mail or in person" means that you need to mail or drop off this ticket with your "plea" by this date.
(If the box “must appear in person” is darkened, then it is mandatory you appear. This is usually for traffic infractions considered misdemeanors or felonies. It is advised that you contact the court to make sure the date is correct. (914) 669-9691)
If you wish to Plead Guilty
- Fill out Section A. Please indicate any change of address and sign and date.
- Mail your ticket to: North Salem Town Court, PO Box 365, 66 June Road, North Salem, NY 10560
- After the court receives your guilty plea, a fine letter will be sent to you. Failure to pay may result in suspension of your driving privileges. A correct address is important for the letter to reach you.
If you wish to Plead Not Guilty
- Fill out Section B. Please indicate any change of address and sign and date.
- If you are under 18, a parent must sign the lower section.
- A pre-conference trial date will be mailed to you within weeks or months, depending on our scheduling.
The amount of the fine is generally left to the discretion of the Judge with certain parameters set by statute or ordinance. In addition to any fine that may be imposed by the Court, the State of New York imposes mandatory surcharges on moving and equipment violations, $93.00 and $63.00 respectively. Payments of all fines are to be made by Cash, Certified Bank Check, Money Order or Credit Card. No peronal checks. Please see the Payment section for a link to our online payment service. All payments are made payable to “North Salem Justice Court”. Fines are expected to be paid in full at your pre-trial conference.
Failure to respond to a vehicle and traffic ticket may result in a suspension of your driving privileges. It’s better to call with questions than ignore the instructions.